Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wiki-ing in Autumn

It's lovley competing with autumn leaves on this space trip. The publish button on the new post is just that autumn colour.
I can appreciate the collaborative opportunity of belonging to a wiki group. It really is sharing and adding to information, and being prepared to have your work edited by someone else in the group may be a good thing to accelerate a  personal learning curve for an individual who is not used to 'team work' efforts. The subject oriented bent is great for small clubs and associations too I think, and would be a great way for groups spread over regional areas to mash-up their meetings, forums and get-together outcomes.

So I found two very interesting sites today. They are: -

(1) The webjunction wiki which has a great PDF for library users explaining Overdrive and the compatability of ebooks and audiobooks supplied, with different applications. It is quite graphic and great for lib techs to become savvy on assisting users. It explains the DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue which has an affect on  compatibility, but more importantly what devices can be used.

(2) This magazine review gives a 'Frequently asked questions' look at wikis and explores in what context they can be useful i.e. fors and againsts for prospective users. I feel this is a good read for those making the 'for', choice, to digest before setting up yet another spaceship repository of information. And this is the Wiki Prayer cited on the site.
Wikis Are Just One Piece
Please, grant me the serenity to accept the pages I cannot edit,
The courage to edit the pages I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference
—The Wiki Prayer
So folks besides having being kind of commissioned to set up a wiki for an Adult Literacy advocate group, I have just considered another application for use of wikis in a library context. And that is a wiki for ebook and audiobook users to continue to 'troubleshoot' and 'offer help' to peer group users on the changes and updates associated with tech apps, and compatibility issues.
It would also be a good place to add an e and audiobooks review page. Particularly interesting for audiobooks users where one becomes very attuned to the 'reading style/tone' of the narrator and and their effect on the story. Rather than Who Else Writes Like?, it could be Who Else Reads Like?  What do you think? Maybe I could do some research by conversing with sight-impaired users.
From: "on the beach at Waikiki"

2 comments:

  1. Jo, I like the webjunction wiki. It has step by step instructions on what are ebooks, how to download, what equipment needed as well as the cost of ebook readers. Very useful resource link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna and Jo for pointing me to the web jucntion pdf - a good one indeed as you say Anna.

    I also like the wiki prayer, Jo - thanks again. Some thoughtful uses of wikis too - good luck with your literacy wiki.

    ReplyDelete