Sunday, March 25, 2012

RSS Feeds

Enjoyed last week setting up RSS feeds and didn't get to express a view on how I see this 'syndication' as being a benefit to a cybrarian and/or for personal advantage.
I have a pet project at the moment which includes researching some serial fictional bushranging stories of Van Diemen's Land (eight stories in about 15 parts) that were published in many regional and country newspapers  throughout Victoria and South Australia during the late 1800's. Of course I found these accidentally by researching and trawling through the ANDP (Australian Newspapers Digitisation Project) database, which is still unfolding.
I found subscribing to the RSS feeds on TROVE for ANDP really advantageous. All I have to do is key into my ANDP Trove account and  key in the name of the story, to be then alerted as to whether there has been an update (another chapter digitized) of this series.
This is great from a personal viewpoint for 'my project'. However as a professing cybrarian it is also useful as one gets a good overview of the pace of the digitisation project throughout  different states and and gives a good overview of reference material expecially in the area of what might be Family Hisotry queries.
So now my next project is to make sure that my IGOOGLE page is fed this information rather than keying into my TROVE ANSP account.
It would be more helpful too to discover how the RSS alerts can be clearly displayed on the IGOOGLE page rather than have to go into Google Reader to sight new alerts. This is another  space exploration project and if anyone gets there before me please let's not have a cold war but share the info on this one less click of the mouse techno intelligence.
So off to work on Part A and Part B of space and time syndication.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you have thought about RSS from two different perspectives here Jo. You have really clearly demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the use of RSS.

    I hope someone can solve the RSS display problem for us.

    ReplyDelete